Updated News Around the World

Injury scare in Blues win

Injury scare in Blues win
Blues player Beauden Barrett during the Blues v Waratahs Super Rugby match. Eden Park, Auckland, New Zealand. Saturday 22 April 2023. ©Copyright Photo: Andrew Cornaga / www.photosport.nz

Beauden Barrett left the field injured in Brisbane last night.
Photo: Andrew Cornaga / www.photosport.nz

The Blues and All Blacks have suffered a major injury scare with Beauden Barrett limping off the field during last night’s 45-26 win over the Reds in Brisbane.

Barrett left the game shortly into the second half and was seen with a heavily strapped ankle on the sidelines.

The Reds were the first team to beat the Chiefs all season last week, ending a 10-year losing streak in New Zealand behind dogged defence and disciplined attack.

But that disappeared in Brisbane on Friday, the Reds missing 31 tackles as the Blues ran in six tries to four and moved into fourth on the Super Rugby Pacific ladder.

It left the Reds in seventh and in danger of missing finals in Thorn’s last season in charge, games away to the Highlanders and Fijian Drua to finish the regular season potentially both must-wins for them to remain in the frame.

Barrett’s short ball to Cameron Suafoa led to fullback Zarn Sullivan’s first try and the All Black scored the second himself.

The hosts couldn’t bend the Blues’ defensive line in the first half but were still right in it when Sef Fa’agase scored to make it a three-point game at the break.

Fraser McReight was then metres from the line when he knocked on looking to dive over, flying winger Mark Telea running 60 metre and grubbering for Barrett.

Barrett couldn’t ground it and then limped off with a sore foot, the All Blacks talent joining five other Blues stars already on the sidelines as part of designated World Cup rest.

It didn’t disrupt the Blues, Patrick Tuipulotu barging over from the next play to create the crucial buffer.

Fullback Sullivan took over the playmaking duties with aplomb to set up Jacob Ratumaitavuki-Kneepkens.

Harry Wilson stretched out to score and make it 31-19 with 11 minutes to play but Telea had the reply from the restart to snuff out any hopes of a comeback.

Liam Wilson continued his good form to set up Josh Flook’s first try but the Reds’ set piece lacked punch and halfback Tate McDermott and fullback Jock Campbell were without the sparkle they showed in New Plymouth a week earlier

For all the latest Sports News Click Here 

 For the latest news and updates, follow us on Google News

Read original article here

Denial of responsibility! NewsUpdate is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.